Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Elusive Black Walnut Tree...

And the walnut there on...

On the farm, one hears a sharp BANG every few minutes, occasionally also a dull thump. Makes the dog wild. Turns out it is the black walnuts falling off of the walnut tree on top of the tin roof of the tool shed. It sounds like a gunshot, far off in the distance. (We hear those, too, but I suspect it is someone plinking with a .22.)

So, as we inquire, I learn there are many black walnut trees on the property, a solid half mile hike away, so I go off to investigate, discovering this tree pictured above, among others, after wading across a stream, then through armpit high weeds, up a steep hill and onto the back pasture. I'm not sure it is worth the bother. The walnuts have to be separated from the outer husk you see pictured, then washed, then dried for 6 weeks, then they are ready to be pried apart and eaten. I don't even like walnuts ...

I had to abandon the pears to a cousin's wife. I just didn't have the time to deal with them now that I'm in grad school and they were rapidly rotting. I'll bet she canned dozens of jars of pears. Oh well, a lesson in "there's only so much one person can do."

I did make whole wheat bread for the first time today (I've made white bread before, but it's been at least 30 years.) Don't get me wrong, I've baked other things, including cinnamon rolls, but I decided to try the bread again. Used a James Beard recipe... I actually like the bread for just eating with some honey ... Paul pronounced it "edible" and The Man gave the crust to the dog ... so much for him getting some more (!) ... I'll keep trying and I guess I'll be eating two loaves of bread and using any leftovers for bread crumbs. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.


3 comments:

ellen said...

I still haven't made any bread from scratch. I have used my bread machine quite a few times though! I make banana bread and zucchini bread but those don't require yeast and rising.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting those walnuts either. Sometimes, it's nice to live in this day and age where you can just hit the grocery store!

ellen said...

Seth says, "I love you grandma!"

Unknown said...

Paula,

I have some wonderful bread recipes and a pizza dough recipe if you want....but my family only likes half wheat/half white flour bread, or else white bread. But the pizza dough, in particular, is really good half and half. Don't give up on making bread; it is good for your soul! d.

My Other Blogs