Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Life on a Key Chain

When I moved into this house, I realized with a start, that this is the first time in my life I've never had a house key. I mean, there's one key on my key chain, and it is the key to my car. I really don't even need a key chain, as the key could very well be left in the ignition at all times, like the other vehicles on the farm. But, I have a need for a keychain - I really like those little portable shoppers cards - you know, register for the discounts, and the local public library offers the library card in that format, too. Plus, I have a Benedictine Cross I bought at the Abbey of St. Walburga, and we know that St. Benedict protects us from evil; plus, I bought a key chain dealie years ago on the trip to Lourdes, France. I need these things.

The reason I don't have a house key is that The Man doesn't know where the key to the front door is - it is left unlocked, or if we're gone for a while, it is locked, but no one uses it anyhow, people come and go through the garage or door off of the "boy's" bathroom. And, if you know the secret code to open the garage, or have the clicker, as I do, there's no need for a key! See, that's how I came to be keyless.

But it is quite a change. I mean, one generally has two or three house keys, I used to have keys to the office; it was quite a jingly set. I'm trying to reflect if there's some sort of hidden meaning behind having no keys ... maybe there are fewer things locked up in this new life.

No comments:

My Other Blogs